ASUS PRIME X370-Pro Review
Today we have the opportunity to review the ASUS PRIME X370-PRO Motherboard, an AMD AM4 motherboard for Ryzen CPUs. The PRIME range of Asus motherboards are considered as a mid level product so ASUS PRIME X370-PRO Motherboard offers slight less features than its bigger brother the ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero specially in aesthetics part but ASUS PRIME X370-PRO board have decent overclocking capabilities along with features like widely-spaced, steel-reinforced PCI-Express X16 slots, DisplayPort and HDMI outputs and RGB LED header.
Now let's see what ASUS PRIME X370-PRO board have for us.
- 5-Way Optimization: One-click system-wide tuning that now also senses GPU temperatures to ensure cooler gaming
- ASUS Aura Sync – World’s first synced RGB lighting with easy controls to orchestrate Aura Sync-capable hardware
- Refined Audio: Realtek ALC1220 codec provides pristine and powerful audio quality
- ASUS SafeSlot: Patent-pending PCIe with enhanced retention and shearing resistance
- 5X Protection III: Multiple hardware safeguards to protect components from damage by power or electrical surges
One click overclock and cooling - ASUS 5-Way Optimization makes your PC smart. It dynamically optimizes essential aspects of your system based on real-time usage â€” so you get superb CPU performance, everyday energy savings, ultra-stable digital power, cool and quiet fans, and now networking and audio settings that are tailored to your apps. In short, 5-Way ASUS Optimization ensures that your PC is perfect for gaming, entertainment and productivity!
- Games run swiftly and smoothly with high performance, prioritized bandwidth and vivid sound.
- Fans stay whisper-quiet for everyday computing, and ensure extreme cooling efficiency when gaming.
- Stutter is eliminated for smooth-running apps, even under heavy loading.
- Energy=-conserving design saves your money.
Fan Xpert 4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro features the most comprehensive fan controls ever, configurable via Fan Xpert 4 and UEFI BIOS.
- Multiple temperature sources - Each header monitors and reacts to three thermal sensors that can now also sense temperature on ASUS graphics cards.* ASUS GT 700 or later graphics card
- AIO Pump & Water Pump+ water-cooling set - Full control of PWM or DC water pumps, perfect for both custom and self-contained cooling setups.
- 4-pin PWM/DC fan - Every onboard header supports auto-detection of PWM or DC fans.
- Smart protection - A dedicated integrated circuit protects each fan header from over-heating and overcurrent.
Connect with unparalleled speeds - Second-generation ASUS T-Topology enables DDR4 memory overclocking to reach new heights: over DDR4-3733MHz with all memory slots populated. Featuring a customized trace layout for reduced crosstalk and coupling noise, our second-generation T-Topology ensures time-aligned signal transfer for improved memory stability and compatibility. br>
Speed Up with Onboard M.2 Up to 32Gb/s - With x4 PCI Express 3.0/2.0 bandwidth, M.2 supports up to 32Gb/s data-transfer speeds. It is the perfect choice for an operating system or application drive, making your whole PC or professional apps work as fast as possible.
10Gbps USB 3.1 front-panel connector - With backward-compatible USB 3.1 Type-A and reversible USB 3.1 Type-C front-panel connectors, you'll experience ultimate connection flexibility and blazing data-transfer speeds of up to 10Gbps â€” that's twice as fast as standard USB 3.0.
ASUS Aura Sync technology for distinctive lighting effects Aura Sync takes RGB lighting beyond the checkbox, combining and controlling the LEDs of your Aura-enabled products from a single application â€” so you can achieve perfect, synchronized lighting harmony. Aura lets you sync light effects across your graphics card, Prime X370-Pro motherboard, and an ever-growing portfolio of Aura-enabled products.
Realtek codec and unique design features for pristine, powerful audio â€“ ASUS Prime X370-Pro utilizes a unique audio codec designed in close collaboration with Realtek. The Realtek S1220A features an unprecedented 120dB signal-to-noise ratio for the stereo line-out and a 113dB SNR for the line-in, providing pristine audio quality. Additionally, a new impedance-sensing circuit automatically adjusts gain to ensure the optimal volume range for your headphones.
Turbo LAN - Network-optimization software for customizable packet prioritization â€“ Turbo LAN with cFosSpeed traffic-shaping technology adds even more lag-reducing support and an intuitive user interface. It allows you to lower lag with no expert knowledge â€” by up to 1.45x! If you're a tweaker, use Advanced mode for hardcore controls.
ASUS SafeSlot - Protect your graphics card investment â€“ SafeSlot is the PCIe slot reinvented by ASUS and engineered to provide superior retention and shearing resistance. Manufactured in a single step using a new insert-molding process to integrate the slot with fortifying metal support for an inherently stronger design, SafeSlot is then firmly anchored to the motherboard through additional solder points.
Board comes in a nice black-white cardboard box with model number, image of the board and details about supporting technology and features.
Inside the box
ASUS PRIME X370-PRO comes with very nice set of accessories :
- User's manual
- ASUS Q-Shield
- 4 x SATA 6Gb/s cable(s)
- 1 x M.2 Screw Package
- Supporting DVD
- SLI bridge
Board made with a black PCB of size ATX (30.5 X 24.4 cm). A white piano key colour metel shield covers the chipset heatsink. Some while colour line graphics covers the whole board giving a rich white and black theme.
Detailed layout of board.
1. AMD AM4 socket
2. ASUS PRIME X370-PRO is equipped with 4 DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
3. ATX Power connector (24-pin EATXPWR)
4. ATX CPU Power Connector 8-pin ATX12V_2x4.
5. 6. 7. 1 x CPU Fan connector, 1 x CPU OPT Fan connector, 2 x Chassis Fan connectors, 1 x AIO_PUMP connector, 1 x W_PUMP+ connector (all 4 -pin)
8.USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel connector
9. 8 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
10. 1 x SATA Express connector
11. Back I/O Ports - 1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse combo port, 1 x DisplayPort, 1 x HDMI, 1 x LAN (RJ45) port, 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 (teal blue)Type-A, 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 USB Type-CTM, 5 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 , 1 x Optical S/PDIF out, 5 x Audio jacks
12. System Front panel connector.
13. Clear CMOS jumper and T-Sensor pin header
14. USB 3.1 Gen 1 connector
15. 2 x USB 2.0 connectors
16. TPM connector
17. COM port connector
18. Front panel Audio connector
19. Expansion Slots from AMD Ryzenâ„¢ Processors : 2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8), AMD 7th Generation A-series/Athlonâ„¢ Processors : 1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x8 mode), AMD X370 chipset : 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (max at x4 mode), AMD X370 chipset : 3 x PCIe 2.0 x1
Heatsinks are made up of dense aluminum with thermal pad installed, giving great passive cooling to VRM MOSFETs and chipset.
Let's now see what all components ASUS have planned for this board.
1. 2.This board have 6+4 phase configuration at VRM section driven by ASUS DIGI+EPU (ASP1405I) controller. Every phase has its own driver/doubler chip IR3535M which drive a Texas Instruments Synchronous Buck NexFETâ„¢ Power Block MOSFET (CSD87350D) capable up to 40A operations. VRM section also have 60A Ferrite Chokes and solid Capacitors for smooth CPU power.
3. DRAM Power stage.
4. UEFI BIOS is stored in a Winbond 128MB chip
5. ASMedia ASM1143 is a USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller
6. Intel WGI211AT is used for integrated GBit LAN solutions.
7. ASUS AURA control chipset.
8. The ITE IT8665E is the main SuperIO controller used for fan control, voltage and temperature monitoring
9. Audio subsystem is based on SupremeFX S1220 codec (a customized ALC1220) with 10 DAC channels, simultaneous 7.1-channel playback, independent 2.0-channel, multiple-stream stereo to front-panel outputs, and an EMI cover for purer audio quality.
A semi-transparent line on motherboard separates the whole audio section from the rest of the board in order to minimize interference with premium Nichicon Gold Capacitors for audio filtration.
RightMark Audio Analyzer (RMAA) suite is used for testing test ASUS Prime X370 audio against Asus Xonar U7 External Sound card. You can see clearly the difference between Noise level, dynamic rang and Total harmonic distortion percentage produced by on-board audio.
RMAA Asus Xonar U7
RMAA SupremeFX Audio
10. ASUS PRIME X370-Pro a custom TPU chips
11. AMD X370 Chipset
|CPU||AMD Ryzen-7 1700X |
|Board|| ASUS PRIME X370 PRO |
|RAM||2 X 8GB GALAXY DDR4 3600Mhz |
|SSD||SAMSUNG 830 SSD|
|Cooler||Thermaltake Contac Silent 12 |
|GFX||Asus GTX 950|
|PSU||Thermaltake RGB 850W GOLD|
|Display||Acer S220HQL |
|OS||Windows 10 |
Wattage reading as per displayed by APC Pro 1000VA (Model no. BR1000G-IN) UPS.
- Great looks
- RGB LED header
- Nice Audio
- Good bundled Software
- Easy Overclocking
- HDMI/ DP Output
- USB 3.1 Gen2 connectivity
The ASUS PRIME X370 Pro is a good looking and great designed motherboard for mainstream and gamers with USB 3.1 Gen2 connectivity, Giga LAN and RGB header onboard. The board features superb VRM design with which we were easily able to overclock AMD Ryzen-7 1700X CPU upto 4Ghz and 3.8GHz super stable.
ASUS PRIME X370 Pro is listed with a price tag of Rs.15K(approx.) which is a great deal of people looking for an AMD build. During AMD Ryzen launch time there were issues with the BIOS and boards. And that was true for all the manufacturers, but now with AGESA 188.8.131.52 code updated BIOS all memory and stability issues are ironed out. This board does not come with WIFI, so if you need it, you have to purchase a separate WiFi adapter.
Finally, considering the looks, price and performance the ASUS PRIME X370 Pro is one of the best price performance board for new AMD Ryzen build and is worthy our PC TeK Reviews CHOICE Award.