ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA Review
There are computer motherboards made for normal desktop use, some are made for workstation and server use, some motherboards are made for gamers in mind and lately very few motherboards are made for top of the line enthusiast users. These anticipating class users wants top of the line technology, best quality and best features. And every motherboard manufacturer tries to give the best product for this segment.
Today we at PC TeK Reviews are reviewing one such top of the line motherboard from top most motherboard manufacturer ASUS, the ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA motherboard. ASUS engineered all the top notch features and all the latest technology in one great piece of product, creating another ultimate ROG product dedicated to the gamers, enthusiasts and overclockers.
ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA motherboard is Intel X299 EATX gaming motherboard with LGA 2066 socket for Intel Core X-Series processors, packed with features like ROG DIMM.2, DDR4 4266MHz , onboard 802.11ac Wi-Fi, 10Gbps LAN, USB 3.1 Gen 2, SATA, Quad M.2, Aura Sync RGB lighting and more.
In addition to extraordinary performance, Rampage VI Extreme Omega provides extensive styling and customization options to let you build a system that truly stands apart. Supporting complete ROG eco-system.
Now let's see what ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA board have for us.
- Intel LGA 2066
socket: Ready for the latest Intel® Core™ X-Series processors to maximize connectivity and speed with up to four M.2 drives, USB 3.1 Gen 2, Intel® VROC and Intel® Optane™ memory compatibility
- Comprehensive thermal design: Active heatsink with integrated VRM fan, PCIe-zone M.2 aluminum heatsink and dual backplates.
- High-performance networking: Onboard Aquantia® 10Gbps LAN, 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO support, and Intel gigabit LAN with ASUS LANGuard and GameFirst V technologies.
- 5-Way Optimization: Automated system-wide tuning, providing overclocking and cooling profiles that are tailor made for your rig.
- SafeSlot technology: Firmly-anchored PCIe slots fortified with metal to support heavyweight graphics cards.
- Unmatched personalization: LiveDash OLED and ASUS-exclusive Aura Sync RGB lighting, including two additional RGB headers and one addressable header.
- Industry-leading ROG audio: SupremeFX S1220 and ESS® SABRE9018Q2C for enthusiast-grade audio performance driven by Japanese capacitors.
POWER DESIGN THAT BUCKS TRENDS - The monstrous compute power of high core count (HCC) processors necessitates a power circuit that rapidly responds to massive current swings. And those demands increase exponentially when the CPU is overclocked. Featuring an array of 16 strategically paired power stages, the Omega's VRM is geared for any workload and all operating conditions.
POWER ARCHITECTURE - Overclocked multi-core processors place incredible loads on the VRM when transitioning between load states. However, conventional motherboard design practices place primary focus on component specs without implementing circuit topologies that provide optimal transient response. The Omega bucks industry trends by utilising teamed PowIRstages to double the burst current of each phase and rapidly respond to load changes.
The Omega's VRM reacts quickly to load changes and suffers from less overshoot and undershoot than alternative power solutions, allowing the processor to remain stable at lower average core voltages.
COOLING - Effective cooling is extremely important for up to 18-core processing beasts, even at stock speeds. That's why ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega is fully armed to provide the best foundation for extreme PC systems, enabling higher performance at lower temperatures.
COOLER BY DESIGN - Rampage VI Extreme Omega features the most comprehensive cooling options ever, configurable via Fan Xpert 4 or the UEFI BIOS.
ROG WATER-COOLING ZONE - ROG Water-Cooling Zone's dual water-temperature headers and flow-rate header feed information straight into the AI Suite utility, so you can keep track of coolant temperatures, and the flow rate of the entire loop.
FAN EXTENSION CARD II - ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega includes our new Fan Extension Card II, which adds six headers that are controllable via FanXpert 4. The card has three temperature-sensor headers to complement the one available onboard and, more importantly, it comes with three thermistors that you can affix to different components. In addition to supplying extra headers for cooling, it has three primed for RGB LED strips.
PERFORMANCE LEVEL UP - AI Suite 3's dashboard-style control panel lets you fine-tune almost every aspect of your Rampage VI Extreme Omega system. Get the best balance between performance, cooling, stability, and efficiency via one simple and intuitive interface.
STORAGE - Rampage VI Extreme Omega comes equipped with four M.2 slots to let you take full advantage of Intel VROC NVMe RAID for ultimate SSD storage speeds.
NETWORKING - INTEL INTEGRATED ULTRA WI-FI SUPPORT: ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega features Intel Wireless-AC 9260 Wi-Fi (802.11ac) with 2x2 MU-MIMO and HT160 support for wireless speeds of up to 1.73Gbps.* In fact, the integrated adapter pushes wireless data up to 2X faster than other Wi-Fi solutions â€” so you'll get fast, smooth transfers, even when your rig is further away from the router. Intel Wireless-AC 9260 also offers Bluetooth 5.0 for connections that are up to 2X faster than ever before, and with up to 4X the range.
10GBPS ONBOARD ETHERNET: Designed for the demanding requirements of power users and content creators who push the envelope, 10Gbps onboard LAN plugs you into a new era of home networking. With up to 10X the bandwidth of standard gigabit Ethernet, you'll enjoy streaming uncompressed 4K UHD videos, and backups and file transfers that are faster than ever before. And there's also support for intermediate 2.5Gbps and 5Gbps connectivity, allowing you to step up to faster networks for maximum flexibility. Choose the bandwidth that meets your needs and enjoy ultra-low latency at any speed.
INTEL ETHERNET: ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega features the latest IntelÂ® Ethernet (I219-V) for faster, smoother gaming. This Intel controller has a natural synergy with Intel processors and chipsets, reducing CPU overhead and offering exceptionally high TCP and UDP throughput â€“ so there's more power for games and other tasks.
SupremeFX AUDIO - ROG is renowned for superior onboard audio, and Rampage VI Extreme Omega is no exception. The front-panel headphone output features a SABRE9018Q2C integrated DAC/amp capable of reaching -115dB THD+N to provide playback that convey all the subtlety and nuances of the audio track. The improved resolution derived from the ESS Hyperstreamâ„¢ DAC architecture expands the soundstage to give a better sense of positioning. Beyond resolution, the 121dB DNR provides an extremely low noise-floor, further accentuating dynamics and punch. And, when you want to shift priority to musicality, our Sonic Studio software provides an array of EQ options, allowing the sound signature to be tweaked to suit your cans.
HARDWARE MONITORING - During the power-on, self-test (POST) phase, LiveDash shows key progress stats, in simple language and via traditional POST codes. Then, during normal operation, the vibrant panel shows a choice of CPU frequency, device temperatures, fan speeds or information from the Water Cooling Zone.
ASUS have given even the box of the product a premium feel. Board comes in a nice hinged type black/red cardboard box with front side featuring the product. Back of box highlights image of the board and details about supporting technology and features.
Inside the box
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA comes with very nice set of accessories.
ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega includes our new Fan Extension Card II, which adds six headers that are controllable via FanXpert 4.
Forget driver DVD. ASUS provides all drivers and utility apps on a USB driver with this board.
ROG DIMM.2 module to take advantage of Intel's Virtual RAID on CPU (VROC) feature by connecting the M.2 drives in RAID configurations.
Board made with a black PCB of EATX form factor (30.5 X 27.2 cm) featuring great aesthetics with RGB lighting on I/O cover, PCIe slots, heatsinks , audio section and as well as on the back of motherboard. Half back plate not only adds structural rigidity to the boards, but also enhances the back-lighting system of the motherboard. ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA motherboard also have a LCD post display on its I/O cover shows key progress stats, in simple language and via traditional POST codes.
Detailed layout of board.
1. LGA Socket 2066, Supporting IntelÂ® Coreâ„¢ X-Series Processors
2. ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA is equipped with 8 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4 4266(O.C.)/4133(O.C.)/4000(O.C.)/3866(O.C.)/3800(O.C.)/3733(O.C.)/3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3400(O.C.)/3333(O.C.)/3300(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory Quad Channel Memory Architecture
3. ATX Power connector (24-pin EATXPWR)
4. 2 X ATX CPU Power Connector 8-pin.
5. Back I/O Ports 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A + USB Type-C, 10 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 (blue),1 x Optical S/PDIF out,1 x Clear CMOS button(s),1 x USB BIOS Flashback Button(s), 1 x ASUS Wi-Fi Module, 5 x LED-illuminated audio jacks, 1 x Aquantia AQC-107 10G LAN port and Anti-surge LAN (RJ45) port
6. 7. 13.1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin), 1 x CPU OPT Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin), 3 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (4 x 4 -pin), 1 x Power Fan connector(s), 2 x Water Pump header (4-pin) and 1 x WB_SENSOR
8.DIMM.2 Slot supports 2 M.2 drives (2242-22110).
9. USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel connector
10.2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1(up to 5Gbps) connector(s) support(s) additional 4 USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s)
11. 12. U.2 port, support PCIe 3.0 x4 NVM Express storage and 10 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)
14. System Front panel connector with BIOS Switch
15. 2 x Aura RGB Strip Headers and 1 x Aura Addressable Strip Header
16. 2 x USB 2.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 4 USB 2.0 port(s)
17. Start button, Reset Button, Safe Boot button, ReTry button and LN2 Mode jumper
18. Front panel Audio connector
19. Expansion Slots: With 44-Lane CPU-3 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16, x16/x16, x16/x8/x8), With 28-Lane CPU-3 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16, x16/x8, x8/x8/x8) and from IntelÂ® X299 Chipset 1 x PCIe 3.0 x4
20. 21. MemOK! II switch, Slow Mode switch, 2 x RSVD Switch and PAUSE Switch
Heatsinks are made up of dense aluminum with thermal pad installed, giving great passive cooling to VRM MOSFETs and x299 chipset. Along with back I/O shield and back plate also include a LED PCB mounted under.
Let's now see what all components ASUS have planned for this board.
1. 2. A massive 16-phase CPU Power VRM Section controlled with ASP14051 controller with International Rectifiers IR3555M Integrated PowIRstage is a synchronous buck gate driver IC with co-packed control and synchronous MOSFETs and Schottky diode with up to 60A of output current capability each and 60A Ferrite Chokes.
3. 4. Two separate DRAM Power section using pair of ON Semiconductor 302D45 MOSFETs and PWM controller is DIGI + VRM ASP1250 chip
5. 7. 11. 12. 2 x ASMedia ASM1074, the four downstream ports USB3.0 HUB Controller and 2 x ASMedia ASM3142 chip supports two USB3.1 Gen-II ports
6. AQUANTIA 10G LAN Controller chip.
8. Intel WGI219V G-LAN Controller.
9. Multi I/O capabilities are based on NUVOTON NCT6796D chip which controls the operation of the system fans, as well as provides the monitors.
13. ASUS custom PRO Clock II microcontroller Chip
14. Asmedia ASM1480 PCIe bus switch chips
15. Intel x299 Express Chipset.
16. Board features two Winbond BIOS chips offering dual BIOS support.
17. 19. ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA uses two custom TPC chips
18. ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA audio subsystem is based on SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC S1220 and ESS SABRE9018Q2C DAC/AMP Supports up to 32-Bit/192kHz playback with 120 dB SNR stereo output and 113 dB SNR recording input.
A semi-transparent line on motherboard separates the whole audio section from the rest of the board in order to minimize interference. Audio section is having premium Nichicon Gold Capacitors for audio filtration.
RightMark Audio Analyzer (RMAA) suite is used for testing test ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA audio against Asus Xonar DX Sound card. You can see clearly the difference between Noise level, dynamic rang and Total harmonic distortion percentage produced by on-board audio.
RMAA Asus Xonar DX
RMAA ASUS Audio
|CPU||Intel Core i7 7820X |
|Board||ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA|
|RAM||4 X 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 3000Mhz|
|SSD||Corsair Force 240GB SSD|
|Cooler||CORSAIR H115i RGB PLATINUM Cooler|
|GFX|| MSI GeForce GTX 1070TI ARMOR 8G |
|PSU||Corsair RM 650x |
|Display||Acer S220HQL |
|OS|| Windows 10 |
|Case|| Corsair 678C |
Wattage reading as per displayed by APC Pro 1000VA (Model no. BR1000G-IN) UPS.
- Great performance
- Nice Aesthetics
- Drivers in a USB Pen Drive
- Excellent RBG lighting implementation
- 10G LAN Onboard
- Little higher power consumption even at idle. This is due to lot of features and extra 10G LAN Onboard.
The Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA is not just another motherboard. This board is especially designed for extreme users. Who can take full advantage of very solid VRM ,features like 10G LAN and more, and will be very pleased with this fantastic piece of engineering.
Although I was not able to source Intel's top of the line Core X-Series Processors that could unleash the full potential of this motherboard. But even with a 8 Cores 16 Threads Core i7 7820X CPU I was very pleased with the overall performance of the ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA motherboard .
Finally, considering the looks, design and features, we found ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA motherboard to be an ultimate ROG motherboard for enthusiast and overclockers, worthy of our PC TeK Reviews EXCELLENCE Award.