MSI B450M MORTAR Motherboard Review
Today we are reviewing an ideal AMD gaming solution motherboard for a value mATX gaming PC build from MSI, the MSI B450M MORTAR motherboard based on new AMD B450 Chipset. Since a AMD B350 motherboard will still allows to run the new 2nd Generation Ryzen Processors with a simple BIOS update, so many are left wondering what AMD B450 Chipset offers.
Following shows what new AMD's 400-series chipsets come bundled with. An array of extremely attractive features combined with MSI's own improvements on the newest MSI B450 motherboard.
- AMD Precision Boost Overclocking delivers higher performance boosts on ‘X’ CPUs.
- AMD StoreMI combines the power of an SSD and an HDD to make storage both fast and high-capacity.
- BIOS Flashback+ for a frustration-free BIOS update and roll-back experience.
- Core Boost for stable overclocking of Ryzen processors (even 8-core CPUs!).
- Extended Heatsinks lower temperature and shield motherboard components much better.
Now let's see what this MSI B450 chipset gaming board have for us.
- Supports AMD Ryzen™ 1st and 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors for Socket AM4
- Supports DDR4 Memory, up to 3466(OC) MHz
- Extended Heatsink Design: MSI extended PWM and enhanced circuit design ensures even high-end processors to run in full speed.
- Lightning Fast Game experience: 1x TURBO M.2, AMD Turbo USB 3.1 GEN2, Store MI technology
- Core Boost: With premium layout and fully digital power design to support more cores and provide better performance.
- DDR4 Boost: Advanced technology to deliver pure data signals for the best gaming performance and stability.
- MULTI-GPU: With PCI-E STEEL ARMOR slot. Supports 2-Way AMD Crossfire™
- Mystic Light and Mystic Light Sync: 16.8 million colors / 10 effects in one click. Synchronize RGB strips and other RGB solutions for customization.
- Audio Boost: Reward your ears with studio grade sound quality for the most immersive audio experience
- BIOS FLASHBACK+: Simply use a USB key to flash any BIOS within seconds, without installing a CPU, memory or graphics card.
- In-Game Weapons: Game Boost, GAMING Hotkey, X-Boost
- EZ Debug LED: Easiest way to troubleshoot.
Looking at the front of the box, we see MSI logo with motherboard model no. At the rear of the box, we find that MSI goes into great detail on the specifications of the motherboard.
Inside the box
Beside motherboard, box includes an IO shield, a user manual booklet, a DVD driver disc, quick installation guide, a product registration card and two SATA cables (one straight and one angled).
Board is a solid build in the great looking black PCB with diagonal gray-striped running across with slight tint of red.
Detailed layout of board.
1. AMD Socket AM4, supporting 1st and 2nd Generation RYZEN CPUs.
2. 4 DIMM Dual channel DDR4 memory slots supporting max. 64GB at 1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667Mhz (by JEDEC) and 2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE)
3. ATX Power connector (24-pin EATXPWR)
4. ATX CPU Power Connector (8-pin ATX12V).
5. Back Panel Connectors
6. 7. 15. 1 x CPU Fan and 3 x System Fan Connectors with EZ Debug LED
8. Front USB 3 Port.
9.6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
10. 11. Front panel and TBT connector
12. 2 x USB 2.0 Connectors
13. Serial and Parallel ports connector
14. RGB LED connector
16. Front panel Audio connector.
17. M.2 connector
18. Expansion Slots.
2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (support x16/x4 mode), 2 x PCIe 3.0 x1 slots
MSI used dense aluminum heatsink in this board. Heatsinks base is having thermal pad installed.
Let's now see what all components MSI have planned for this board.
1. 2. CPU voltage regulator circuit has a pair of Sinopower SM4336 and 4503NH as the high and low side MOSFETs controlled by Richtek RT8894A Dual channel Multi-Phase PWM Controller.
3. 2-Phase digital memory power supply section
4. Realtek RTL8111H-CG Gigabit LAN controller
5. AMD B450 Chipset
6. NUVOTON NCT6797D â€“ Super I/O Chipset
7. MSI uses Windbond 2SQ128FVSQ a capacity of 128 Mb for storing UEFI BIOS.
8. A2762 Serial port and Parallel port chip.
9. MSI Audio Boost Audio technology is powered by Realtek ALC892 chip which is a high-performance multi-channel High Definition Audio Codec that delivers an good audio listening experience with up to 95dB SNR.
A semi-transparent line on motherboard separates the whole audio section from the rest of the board in order to minimize interference. In addition MSI also used Chemi-Con audio capacitors.
RightMark Audio Analyzer (RMAA) suite is used for testing MSI High Definition audio against Asus Xonar U7 Sound card. You can see clearly the difference between Noise level, dynamic rang and Total harmonic distortion percentage produced by MSI High Definition audio.
RMAA Asus Xonar U7
RMAA Audio Boost Audio
|CPU||AMD Ryzen 7 2700X |
|Board|| MSI B450M-MORTAR |
|RAM||2 X 8GB Corsair DDR4 3600Mhz |
|SSD||Samsung 830 SSD|
|Cooler||Cooler Master Nepton 240M|
|GFX||MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor 8G |
|PSU||Cooler Master V1200 |
|Display||Acer S220HQL |
|OS|| Windows 10 |
Wattage reading as per displayed by APC Pro 1000VA (Model no. BR1000G-IN) UPS.
- Nice looks
- RGB LED support
- Good audio
- Good Overclocking
- Very Affordable
- UEFI seem a little cluttered. Almost every setting is displayed in central small area. Like one windowed interface.
MSI B450M MORTAR is solid build quality and good priced gaming motherboard for budget build. The board offers good performance and decently overclocking in the segment. Even with a price tag of Rs.9K MSI offers nice bundle of gamers oriented software packages like RAMDisk, the multi-use GamingApp and XBoost, as well as M.2 support and control over RGB lighting through two on-board RGB headers.
At the conclusion I found MSI B450M MORTAR to be a nice gaming solution with lot of features, best suitable for gamer going for a budget build and is worthy of our PC TeK Reviews VALUE Award.