Gigabyte X99 GAMING 5P Motherboard Review
GIGABYTE's Gaming series of motherboards promises to be a solid overclocker with great features and at a reasonable price tag. We have reviewed some Gigabyte Gaming series of motherboards in past, they were all Intel Z97 chipset based feature packed board precisely targeted at gamers and overclockers.
Today we have the opportunity to review our first Gigabyte's X99 Gaming series of motherboard, the Gigabyte X99 GAMING 5P motherboard with features like Server Level Chokes, an all digital power solution from Power IR and long lifespan Durable Black capacitors in a budget of Rs.27500/- only.
Now let's see what this Intel X99 chipset based board have for us.
Looking at the front of the box, we see Gigabyte logo with motherboard model no. At the rear of the box, we find that Gigabyte goes into great detail on the specifications of the motherboard.
Inside the box
Moving into the bundle, we've actually got a fair bit included. Since the Gigabyte X99 GAMING 5P is capable of 4 way SLI, Gigabyte has provided nearly all the options available for SLI but only 1 Crossfire bridge alongside usual cables, rear I/O, SATA cables, drive disk and manual.
Rather using standard SATA cables and rear I/O plate, Gigabyte has gone outside the box here and includes 3 sets of black sleeve SATA cables and designed an LED back lit I/O Shield that lights up, with all EMI shielding in mind also. You will notice a wire plug going into the MB to power LED. Also all LED's can be turned ON/OFF using Ambient LED software package.
- Supports New IntelÂ® Coreâ„¢ i7 Processor Extreme Edition
- Support for DDR4 XMP up to 3333MHz
- Genuine All Digital Power Design with IR Digital PWM & IR PowIRstageÂ® ICs
- 4-Way Graphics with Premium PCIe Lane
- Dual M.2 Technology for SSD Drive and WIFI card
- Gold Plating for CPU socket, Memory DIMMs and PCIe slots
- Onboard Creative Sound Core3Dâ„¢ quad-core audio processor
- AMP-UP Audio technology with exclusive Upgradable OP-AMP
- Independent Right and Left Audio Channel PCB Layers
- LED lighting for the audio guard light path and the back panel LED
- Quad DAC-UP USB ports
- Gold plated audio ports
- High end Nichicon audio capacitors
- Killerâ„¢ E2200 gaming networking
- SATA Express support for 10 Gb/s data transfer
- Long lifespan Durable Blackâ„¢ Solid caps
- APP Center including EasyTuneâ„¢ and Cloud Stationâ„¢ utilities
- Thunderboltâ„¢ Ready
- GIGABYTE UEFI DualBIOSâ„¢ with Q-Flash Plus USB port
Board is a solid build in the same black and red colour theme as all Gigabyte's Gaming series boards are
Detailed layout of board.
1. Intel LGA2011-3 / OC Socket (2083 Pins) supporting New IntelÂ® Coreâ„¢ i7 Processor Extreme Edition.
2. 8 x DDR4 DIMM sockets supporting up to 64 GB of system memory
3. 4. 24-pin ATX and 8-pin ATX 12V power connectors.
5. Back Panel Connectors : 1 x PS/2 keyboard port, 1 x PS/2 mouse port, 6 x USB 3.0/2.0 ports, 4 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports, 1 x optical S/PDIF Out connector, 1 x RJ-45 port, 5 x audio jacks (Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out, Rear Speaker Out, Line In/Mic In, Line Out, Headphone), 2 x Wi-Fi antenna connector holes
6. 7. 9. 17. 2 x CPU Fan headers, 3 x System Fan headers
8. Back I/O and Chipset LED Connector.
10. M.2 Socket 3 Wifi and SSD Card connector
11. Intel x99 Chipset cooled with Solid aluminum and copper heat-pipe heatsink with LED and Gigabyte G1 Gaming logo
12. 13. 1 x SATA Express connector, 10 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
14 to 20. front panel header, USB 3.0/2.0 header, 2 x USB 2.0/1.1 headers, PCIe power connector, front panel audio header
21. Thunderbolt add-in card connector
22. 2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (PCIE_1, PCIE_2) * For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIE_1 slot; if you are installing two PCI Express graphics cards, it is recommended that you install them in the PCIE_1 and PCIE_2 slots. 2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x8 (PCIE_3, PCIE_4)* The PCIE_4 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIE_1 slot. When the PCIE_4 slot is populated, the PCIE_1 slot will operate at up to x8 mode. * When an i7-5820K CPU is installed, the PCIE_2 slot operates at up to x8 mode and the PCIE_3 operates at up to x4 mode. (All PCI Express x16 slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard.) 3 x PCI Express x1 slots (The PCI Express x1 slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
Solid aluminum and copper heat-pipe type heatsink with thermal pad installed, giving great passive cooling to VRM MOSFETs and x99 chipset.
Let's now see what all components Gigabyte have planned for this board.
1. 6-phase digital power, server level Cooper Bussmann chokes coils and Durable Black solid capacitors. IR3580 is IR (International Rectifier) 8-phase single output PWM Controller IC. IR3556M (Integrated PowIRstage) is a synchronous buck gate driver co-packed with a control MOSFET and a synchronous MOSFET with integrated Schottky diode with output current capability of 50A DC each.
2. 2-Phase digital memory power supply section. IR 3570A is IR (International Rectifier) Dual output 4+1 and 3+2 phase PWM Controllers. IR 3553M is a synchronous buck gate driver co-packed with a control MOSFET and a synchronous MOSFET with integrated Schottky diode with output current capability of 40A DC each
3.Renesas Electronics YET-D720210-0004 USB3.0 4-Port Hub Chip.
4.Qualcomm Killer E2201 is a more integrated E2200 NPU. Providing the NPU, the PHY and all the other components in one 40-pin IC, a high-performance, adaptive gigabit Ethernet controller that offers better online gaming and online media performance compared to standard solutions.
5. Gigabyte X99 GAMING 5P Audio is powered by Creative CA0132 Sound Core3D Quad-Core Audio Processor (under the EMI shield) , 4 channel 24-bit 101db ADC, 6 channel 24-bit 102db DACs, and headphone amp in a 56 pin package.
A semi-transparent line on motherboard separates the whole audio section from the rest of the board in order to minimize interference. Audio section is having high end Nichicon MUSE ES Audio Capacitors for audio filtration. In addition Gigabyte used one Upgradable OPA2134PA Op-amp with Gain boost selector switches for rear audio amplification and customization base on individual listening preferences. So listening under Stereo mode produces high audio quality with excellent dynamic range.
GIGABYTE G1â„¢ Gaming motherboards also include SBX Pro Studioâ„¢ suite of audio playback technologies deliver a new level of audio immersion. Realistic surround sound, the ability to clearly hear specific sounds in a gaming environment are just a few elements of SBX Pro Studio that enhances the overall experience, be it movies, games or music
GIGABYTE USB DAC-UP provides clean, noise-free power delivery to your Digital-to-Analog Converter. DACs can be sensitive to fluctuations in power from the other USB ports, which is why GIGABYTE USB DAC-UP takes advantage of an isolated power source that minimizes potential fluctuations and ensures the best audio experience possible.
RightMark Audio Analyzer (RMAA) suite is used for testing Gigabyte X99 GAMING 5P High Definition audio against Asus Xonar DX Sound card.
RMAA Asus Xonar DX
RMAA Gigabyte Audio
6. ITE's IT8951e is the motherboard built-in Q-Flash Plus controller, which allows a BIOS flash to take place even if no RAM or CPU is installed.
7. Gigabyte uses two SPI chip labeled MXIC MX 2SL12873F a capacity of 128 Mb for storing UEFI BIOS
8. Intel X99 Express Chipset
9. ITE IT8620e is SuperIO chip monitors temperatures, voltages and other key metrics for normal operation and overclocking.
10. Fan control and monitoring is performed via ITE IT8792E the system controller.
11. NXP L04083B . NXP Semiconductors a 4 differential channel, 2-to-1 multiplexer / demultiplexer switch for PCI Express Generation 3
12. IDT 6V49322NLG clock generator IC for SATA Express interface.
13. The ICS 9DB633 is a PCI-E 3.0 six output differential buffer, clock generator.
Test system configuration - Intel i7-5960X, 4 x 4 G.Skill RipJaws4 F4-3000C 15Q DDR4 RAM, Corsair H100i cooler, Samsung 830 SSD 256GB, Corsair RM 1000 PSU, Asus GTX960, Asus Xonar DX Sond Card, WD 1TB Green, HP DVD RW Drive.
Enabling G.Skill RipJaws4 DDR4 RAM XMP profile with 3000MHz
Changing CPU Mode switch to OC mode for overclocking.
With H100i cooler I manage to OC Intel i7-5960X up to 4.4GHz stable
Wattage reading as per displayed by APC Pro 1000VA (Model no. BR1000G-IN) UPS.
- High quality audio and Ethernet
- 4-Way GPU support
- Good and easy OC with Easy Tune
- I/O LED with ON/OFF capabilities
- Black sleeve SATA cables
- Built-in M.2 and SATA Express support
- WIFI card not included at this price
Gigabyte X99 GAMING 5P is a well- build X99 board for gamers focusing on networking and audio which I think is done very well at a hardware level â€“ particularly the user upgradable OP-AMP based on individual listening preferences, gain switches, a headphone amplifier and high end Audio Capacitors.
Following the G1 Gaming series Gigabyte X99 GAMING 5P is in the lower mid-range of the X99 board lineup giving a solid performance and easy overclocking
At the conclusion Gigabyte X99 GAMING 5P makes a great choice for a X99 based Gaming System